What is sustainability?
Sustainability is all about meeting the needs of the present without compromising the needs of future generations. It can be measured in terms of economic, environmental and social values.
Cut the environmental costs of bulk handling installations
Portasilo produces some of the most advanced bulk storage and handling systems available. They are designed and manufactured under controlled conditions using the latest technology in state-of-the-art production facilities. Our steel silos are fabricated in the factory before being delivered to site by road, where they are quickly and simply erected and connected to discharge and conveying systems. For silos larger than five metres in diameter, the silo is fabricated in sections at our factory, ready for rapid assembly once on site.
Studies have shown that our factory-based construction methods offer considerable whole-life value benefits, including:
- Construction predictability: Costly time and budget overruns are a major concern for any construction project. Because it is factory based, our silo manufacturing process is not disrupted by weather conditions, site characteristics or trade shortages.
- Speed of construction: Build times can be significantly reduced by using our off-site building methods, leading to an earlier return on investment.
- Quality control: The factory-based manufacturing environment delivers consistently high quality standards through close control of the entire construction process - our quality management system is certified to ISO 9001:2000. Portasilo is also committed to working towards gaining accreditation to the widely recognised ISO 14001:2004 standard.
- Environmental control: We have gained accreditation for our high-standards of environmental management and commitment to ongoing environmental responsibility. This means that the environmental impact of our products and processes is being reduced through the successful implementation of an environmental management system. To read our Environmental Policy click here.
- Reduced noise and pollution: Our manufacturing methods mean that during the installation phase there are fewer vehicle movements both on your site and delivering materials to your site - creating less environmental pollution through reduced vehicle mileage. Noise levels on site are also minimised.
- Recycling of materials: Portasilo products are manufactured with ease of disassembly and recycling in mind. Bolted components can easily be dismantled and re-used, and steel is endlessly recyclable.
- Less waste: The amount of waste generated at both the factory and the site location is minimised. The Portasilo manufacturing facility in York recycles more than 60% of its waste, and the cost of waste sent to landfill has been reduced by 50% over the last three years.
- Improved health and safety: Factory-based construction offers an intrinsically safer working environment than a traditional construction site. The need to work at height on site is minimised.
Benefits for today - and future generations
By choosing to purchase a Portasilo storage and handling system over a site-built solution, you can achieve cost savings in both the short term and over the life of the structure, as well as reducing the impact of your activities on the environment for the benefit of future generations.
But don’t just take our word for it...
Take a look at our case studies, to find out how we have fulfilled the diverse requirements of customers in all industry sectors around the world, or visit our manufacturing facilities to see how off-site construction and over 50 years experience can benefit your organisation. Contact us now to arrange a visit.
Want to know more?
For more information about any of our products and services, please contact us today.
Click here to see our location in York, UK